Saturday, June 16, 2007

Dilemma in Summer Break

My group meeting is the last one before our lab's Summer break. Who says there is no Summer break for graduate students?

Every Summer Tim and Chris will go to the MBL at Woods Hole for three months doing experiments, teaching, boating, fishing, and hanging around with their old friends. Although Tim is an extremely hands-off guy, which means he won't ask you anything about your progress unless you tell him first, it still feels differently without Tim and Chris being in the lab.

Now I am in a good position. I just finished my group meeting before the Summer break. So I am clear to plan future directions. Finally I can try some ideas and hope it will be an interesting Summer.

However, thinking about future directions per se is a tough work, sadly.

After I summaried my current studies as a descriptive paper, I feel I should go deep and tackle the molecular mechanisms. The problem is in which way.

I am familiar with molecular biology which should be the easist way for me. Tim always appreciates the biochemistry which is also what I think I should pick up before leaving the lab. Imaging analysis and pushing more microscopy work is definetely good for me in the future but the downside is it will take you a very long time to be "kind-of-good" at it.

Dilemma, dilemma, dilemma.

No comments: