Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Price of Leadership Replacement

This noon our new dean Jeff Flier invited us to join a huge BBQ lunch in the quad, for the beginning of a new academic year (and his first year as our dean). The food is great. I told my colleagues that if this is what happens for having a new dean, we should have a new one every one or two years.

There was a similar ice-cream event in the Old Yard few months ago, for Drew Faust, our new president. The formal installation is set on Oct.12.

I am pretty happy the new semester starts. The campus feels totally different, from full of tourists to full of students. It comes to vivid again. Makes you feel good. That is why I don't want to live in Loogwood but rather in Cambridge, even though winter trafficking is a pain.

Semester begin means the Systems Biology Theory Lunch (aka the FREE Friday lunch) is back too. I just got the new schedule. Wallace Marshall from UCSF is coming to give the first talk this Friday. He will also give "cell biology" talk on Thursday - "How Cells Measure - Exploring the Flagellar Length Control System".

His lab is pretty young. Because of that, it seems the future direction is not fixed and clear yet. I was told Wallace Marshall is a extremely nice and considering person. No wonder he has 6 graduates in his lab already. I am not clear how many students UCSF take every year, but in here it is very rare that a junior faculty can "recruit" so many students in a short term.

I am looking forward to his talks on Thursday and Friday.

No comments: