Monday, September 24, 2007

Cell Division Symposium @ MIT

This morning I went to the Cell Division Symposium at MIT for several interestd talks. I left early at noon. I have to say it is quite enjoyable biking across Charles River by the Harvard bridge at such a beautiful day!

Yes, the beautiful bridge in front of MIT is named "Harvard bridge", although for unknown reasons, people in MIT like to call it "Mass. Ave. bridge" instead.

I like Andrew, Tarun, and Steve's talks. My friend Ting did most part of the work and was mentioned several times in Steve's talk, pretty impressive! Tim's talk is okay. It is a bit away from so called "Cell Biology". I missed all afternoon talks. I heard Marc Kirschner gave a very boring talk. It surprised me since he is very good at presentation. He probably doesn't take this seriously.

One thing interesting is this meeting is kind of like the K-Lab reunion. Andrew and Steve were both Marc's postdocs. Tim was Marc's student and Tarun was Tim's post-doc.

So, Ting, you and I are in the same pedigree chart!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm....Before we went to that symposium, Steve has mentioned that (reunion) to me.

*******

In this symposium, I like the talks of Kapoor, Orr-Weaver, Kleckner and McCollum.

Well, although Marc presented old data I have read before, but I still think it's a decent talk, not really boring.

I tried to catch up Murray's talk, but failed. I would print out this new study published on Nature Genetics and read it. I just feel it should be fascinating.

Tim's talk and concept I have heard from a student before, who went to hear Tim's talk.

Dan's talk is really cool (he didn't show the critical data in our program's data club) and further imply the whole conserved cytokinesis mechinary/toolkit throughout evolution. I hope we can identify a similar mammalian GEF which plays roles in asymmetric vesicle recruitment someday.

-Ting

Red said...

Tim asked me if I was there while Steve giving his talk. He thinks the work is very creative and your story is very interesting.

Tim said he likes Steve's talk.

Are you serious? Kleckner's talk? You must be kidding me... hahaha. I felt the whole audience was entering the non-responding status then.

Yeah, I wish I was in Dan's talk. But it is just too inconvenient for me to come and go for one talk.