Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Uhh~ Those Scientists

The official in-print day of my paper is 4/21. The journal made it release early online yesterday. I didn't realize it until I got few emails asking for PDF file (I am the corresponding author).

This morning, more emails came, most of them asking for information about specific experimental details. There is one, surprisingly, writing to express their astonishment that we didn't reference his paper in our work.

I was shocked. His paper came out at about the same time with my submission. I haven't read it until he attached his paper with the email. Tim came and told me I shouldn't feel bad about this. It happens all the time.

However, even though you know it, when it really happens on you, it still make you upset a bit.

Tim said miss-reference is very common nowadays since it is impossible to read every paper in the field, but it is stupid really writing a letter to argue this.

Aaron is proofreading his paper this afternoon. We were joking, said we can reference that paper in Aaron's paper to make the citation-count even. It doesn't matter in what way the paper is cited when it goes to number counting.

Geez~ it is all abuot ego.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, this sxxt happens to social science papers as well.

Red said...

yeah.. actually we joked on how to reply this email.

"You should spend your time on meaningful things, for instance, your experiments."

or

"Yes, there are someones who never read your paper."